2017 ALEXANDER VALLEY FILM SOCIETY STUDENT FILM COMPETITION
The Alexander Valley Film Society (AVFS) is accepting submissions for the 2017 AVFS Student Film Competition. Winners will be screened at the Alexander Valley Film Festival October 19-22, 2017. Cash prizes of $50 will be offered for Best Middle School Film, Best High School Film, and Best College Film (undergraduate).
The overall winner will receive the JOSEPH CARNATION, JR. STUDENT FILM AWARD and a cash prize of $100 in honor of our late supporter, career educator, and student advocate Joe Carnation.
Rules & Guidelines
- Students must reside in Sonoma County.
- Students must submit films on or before October 5, 2017.
- Films are not to exceed a running time of 5 minutes. Any films submitted that exceed 5 minutes will not be entered into competition and will not be eligible for juried awards or scholarships.
- This year’s theme is “HOPE.” The theme is up for interpretation and the creativity of interpretation will be part of judging criteria.
- Films are welcome to be any medium or genre (animation, live-action, narrative, documentary, etc.).
- Films must be uploaded to either YouTube or Vimeo for consideration.
- Entries will require completion of the online entry form below, three (3) hi-resolution stills from the production, and a signed permission slip for all applicants under 18 years of age. The stills and signed permission slip should be emailed to email@example.com with the applicant's name and film title.
- Non-English submissions are encouraged, but must include English subtitles. Click here for suggestions on free subtitling software.
- Entrants grant permission to AVFS to use any materials submitted for publicity purposes.
Selection & Judging
Submissions for middle school, high school, and college level categories will be selected by the Alexander Valley Film Festival Selection Committee. The selection committee will be comprised of film industry professionals and community leaders. If a film is selected for screening, the entrant will be contacted by AVFS. Films will be screened at the Alexander Valley Film Festival in October, 2017. Screening schedule and details will be posted on the AVFS website as they become available. Click here to view a copy of the rubric to be used by the judges.
ONLINE ENTRY FORM
Students are responsible for submitting all components of their application (see #6 above).
Incomplete submissions will not be considered.
Pro tip: Don't forget to email your signed permission slip (if under 18) and production stills!