2022 ALEXANDER VALLEY FILM FESTIVAL
APRIL 29-MAY 8, 2022
Submissions for #AVFF2022 are now OPEN! We have added two new award categories: Television/Web Series Episode and New Media Micro Short. Submit your film by the early deadline of Dec. 15th for the best savings. Late deadline is Feb. 15th.
ALEXANDER VALLEY FILM FESTIVAL WILL CELEBRATE EIGHTH YEAR IN SPRING 2022
AVFF regularly showcases and hosts new and emerging talents from all over the world. We create opportunities for the community, students and adults alike, to meet, interact with, and learn from visiting artists. We also offer deeply discounted tickets to students and neighbors in need so that everyone is included.
AVFF features cutting-edge indie films – like 2018’s FREE SOLO and 2019’s PARASITE – and selections of diverse works from and about underrepresented artists and communities. We actively seek:
socially conscious films that depict characters in the richness of their culture and identities; works from directors of color; Latinx-, LGBTQ+-, and female-driven narratives; and youth-oriented stories.
AVFF will also feature Sonoma County student works in the annual Student Film Competition.
AND THAT’S A WRAP FOR 2021!
Thank you once more to our donors and sponsors, notably Vanguard Properties, Cartograph Wines, Big John’s Market, Cee Scott Brown & John Bjornen, Sue Campbell & John McKinney, Hillary & Michael Kambour, and Erin Rothfuss & Brian Watanabe.
Big thanks to this year’s programmers: Mike Traina of Film Fest Petaluma, Chris Metzler, Chelsea Kurnick, and Connie White. Special thank yous to Susan Verde for coordinating our screening team once more and Abigail Selby for dreaming up our Horror Trivia Night.
Shout out to all of the moderators this year: Drag Queen Mary Vice, Nikko Kimzin, Sue Campbell, Steve Tellez, Randy Schai, and Malinalli Lopez.
And to all the volunteers who screened films, ran the drive-ins, put up posters, and spread the word of the Festival – we see you and appreciate you big time!
See you at the movies!
-Your friends at AVFF/AVFS
AVFF2021 by the numbers:
- 2 Mental Health Meet-Ups
- 10 days of Film Festival
- 13 Filmmaker awards
- 30 special events, panels and Q&As
- 80 filmmakers in conversation
- 98 screenings, events, panels and Q&As
- 326 Pass holders
- 361 Tickets given to local residents to watch THE KINCADE FIRE
- 637 Individual tickets
- 1,000+ patrons and filmmakers connecting through films and conversations
- $5,300 in cash prizes awarded to teachers, students, and filmmakers
- 5,700 views of content
CONGRATULATIONS to all of the winning filmmakers from the 2021 Alexander Valley Film Festival:
- Audience Award for Best Short: HOMESICK, Directed by Koya Kamura – $1,000 cash prize
- Audience Award for Best Feature Documentary: THE KINCADE FIRE, Produced by Simz Productions – $1,000 cash prize
- Audience Award for Best Feature Narrative: HOLLER, Directed by Nicole Riegel – $1,000 cash prize
STUDENT FILM AWARDS
MIDDLE SCHOOL – SCHOOL PROJECT FILM
- HOW TO BE SUSTAINABLE (Surjin Banwait) – Best technical achievement in filmmaking – $50 cash prize for teacher’s classroom
- BATTLE FOR THE PANCAKES (Aston Rashap) – Best storytelling – $50 cash prize for teacher’s classroom
- A PICKLES LIFE (Aleks Radomski, Timbre Davis, Lily Werret, Chris Lindeman) – AND – SUSTAINABILITY (Jembe Persinger) – Best overall film – $100 cash prize for teacher’s classroom
HIGH SCHOOL – SCHOOL PROJECT FILM
- SPACE THINGS ( Matty Denison) – Best technical achievement in filmmaking – $50 cash prize for teacher’s classroom
- GONE FISHING ( Jackson Sheibal) – Best storytelling – $50 cash prize for teacher’s classroom
- HOURS (Andre Achacon, Cocome McKamey, Alexandra Van Holt) – Best overall film – $100 cash prize for teacher’s classroom
HIGH SCHOOL – INDEPENDENT FILM
- ART OF MUSICAL PRODUCTION (Zach Case) – Best technical achievement in filmmaking – $100 cash prize for student
- MILK (Zach Case & Ian Shine) – Best overall film – $250 cash prize for student
COLLEGE – CLASS PROJECTS & INDEPENDENT FILM
- BOOGIE BAR (Crysta Andrews) – Best technical achievement in filmmaking – $100 cash prize for student
- SUMMERTIME (Max Belove) – Best storytelling – $100 cash prize for student
- SUMMERTIME (Max Belove) – Best overall film – $250 cash prize for student
JOSEPH CARNATION, JR. OVERALL STUDENT FILM AWARD
OUT FOR DELIVERY(James Domizio) – $1,000 cash prize for student
All of these recordings are now available for the general public on the AVFS YouTube channel:
- 499 – filmmaker Q&A
- ACTING: THE FIRST SIX LESSONS – Panel from Opening Night with Emily and Beau Bridges
- ANTON: CIRCLING HOME – filmmaker Q&A
- BORDERLINES Shorts Collection – filmmaker Q&A
- CLOSE ENCOUNTERS Shorts Collection – filmmaker Q&A
- Community Rising: Wildfire Response and Recovery – panel discussion
- DRUNK BUS – filmmaker Q&A
- FREELAND – filmmaker Q&A
- FRUITS OF LABOR – filmmaker Q&A
- GIRL IN GOLDEN GATE PARK – filmmaker Q&A
- GLOBAL VISIONS Shorts Collection – filmmaker Q&A
- HOLLER – filmmaker Q&A
- HORROR DELIGHTS Shorts Collection – filmmaker Q&A
- KEYBOARD FANTASIES – filmmaker Q&A
- LIVE NUDE GIRLS UNITE! and Sex Workers’ Rights Today – filmmaker Q&A/panel discussion
- Meet the Programmers of AVFF2021 – panel discussion
- OUR RIGHT TO GAZE – filmmaker Q&A
- P.S. BURN THIS LETTER PLEASE – Drag Queen brunch panel with filmmakers
- Queer Coming of Age Q&A – filmmaker Q&A
- RONNIE’S – filmmaker Q&A
- STORIES I DIDN’T KNOW – Panel on amplifying Indigenous stories
- TRY HARDER – filmmaker Q&A
- US KIDS – Panel from Closing Night with filmmakers and student activists
- VINYL NATION – filmmaker Q&A
The recorded panels and filmmaker Q&As from the 7th Annual Alexander Valley Film Festival.
– AVFF 2021 Brought to you by –
DELORES & GARY ARABIAN
VIC AIUTO & CALVIN CHAN
ANITA DOOLEY-BARKER & STEVEN BARKER
CEE SCOTT BROWN & JOHN BJORNEN
SUE CAMPBELL & JOHN MCKINNEY
DOUG CHAMBERLIN & ALISON FINCH
RENAY & MICHAEL FANELLI
WALTER GENDELL & JACK FITZSIMMONS
BARBARA GRASSESCHI & TONY CRABB
JEAN HERSCHEDE & MARK THAYER
HILLARY & MICHAEL KAMBOUR
CHRISTEL & RON LONGO
TIM MCDONALD & BOB SCOTT
Joanne Menapace & Russ Bertuccelli
WINKY & DAVID MERRILL
RON & JANE PAVELKA
JANE ROSENBERG & STEVE DEAS
ERIN ROTHFUSS & BRIAN WATANABE
TELLEZ FAMILY VINEYARD AT WILD CREEK RANCH
BARBARA TOMBER & DON MATTHEWS
INTERESTED IN SPONSORING? PLEASE EMAIL US!
Click the tiles below to view prior year’s brochures!
Join our mailing list