2018 IMPACT REPORT
The arts are an economic driver and catalyst for social change. With the Alexander Valley Film Festival, we provide access to incredible content, diverse filmmakers, and a window into the world. But we also make a hefty impact right here at home:
The arts are an economic driver and catalyst for social change. Through the Alexander Valley Film Festival, we provide access to incredible content, diverse filmmakers, and a window into the world. But we also make a hefty impact right here at home:
- $82,834 in economic impact came into the to the Northern Sonoma County community over the course of the four-day film festival.*
- 15,000+ students and individuals from across the county took note of the student film competition, funded by the Healthcare Foundation Northern Sonoma County.
- 2,600+ tickets sold
- 1,000+ people went to the film competition webpage that featured competition instructions AND links to mental health resources, including referral sources.
- 450+ volunteer hours logged
- 75+ students participated in the film festival weekend through musical performances, volunteering, screening their films, and watching movies.
- 50+ overnight stays were generated from visiting filmmakers and patrons.
- 33 films screened over four days
- 28 filmmakers hosted
- 7 special awards given out
- 4 contract positions were filled by local residents.
- 3 student interns joined us from Sonoma State University.
*Calculated with data from Americans for the Arts and adjusted for inflation
- Audience Award Best Feature Narrative: SUPA MODA – $500 cash prize
- Audience Award Best Feature Documentary: FREE SOLO – $500 cash prize
- Audience Award Best Short: WALK IN CLOSET – $250 cash prize
Student Film Competition:
- Joseph Carnation Jr. Overall Student Film Award: KIDS CAN MAKE A DIFFERENCE (Mira Stenger) – $250 cash prize
- Best High School FIlm: BELLA (Henry Gomez) – $150 cash prize
- Honorable Mention: FIRE DOC (Isaiah Hollowman, Nicole Martinez, Drew Edens)
Inaugural Jackie Hoffner Heart & Hope Award:
A LOOK BACK AT THE FILMS
The AVFS Screening Team reviewed more than 150 films to create the following slate of 13 Narrative Features, 13 Documentary Features, 7 Short Films, and
5 Special Events.
Congratulations to all of the films and filmmakers accepted!
BIRDS OF PASSAGE
C’EST LA VIE
MONSTERS AND MEN
WILD NIGHTS WITH EMILY
WOMAN AT WAR
DYKES, CAMERA, ACTION
THE LAST RACE
MAKING MONTGOMERY CLIFT
ON HER SHOULDERS
RODENTS OF UNUSUAL SIZE*
NEIGHBOR SCREENING: CHEF FLYNN* +
EMPIRE ON MAIN STREET* (Alexander Valley Hall)
OPENING NIGHT: FREE SOLO* (Clover Theater)
FILMMAKER WORKSHOP + STUDENT SHORTS* (Clover Theater)
SATURDAY NIGHT CLASSIC: DOUBLE INDEMNITY* (Odd Fellows Hall)
CLOSING NIGHT: WARRIOR WOMEN* (Raven)
AVFF 2018 SHORTS:
PROTECT AND SERVE*
SO MUCH YELLOW*
SIGN THE CONTRACT
WALK IN CLOSET*
* Filmmaker or guest in attendance as of 9/23/18
Join our mailing list