Please read through our Equity Statement before you apply. This is a living document to be regularly amended that will guide our efforts at creating a more equitable and just organization.
The Alexander Valley Film Society (AVFS) seeks a part-time Film Programmer for the 7th annual Alexander Valley Film Festival (AVFF), April 23-May 2, 2021. The Film Programmer will help to conceive, develop, and implement the artistic and programmatic focus of films in consultation with other programmers and the Executive Director.
The ideal candidate is known to AVFS, immersed in independent film, self-directed, adept at problem solving, and comfortable in high-stress situations. They also recognize that they will represent AVFS in a public-facing capacity throughout the Festival process.
The Film Programmer will report to the Executive Director.
Now taking place annually in the spring, AVFF showcases and hosts new and emerging talents from all over the world. Leveraging our virtual programming since the dawn of COVID, we create opportunities for the community, students and adults alike, to meet, interact with, and learn from visiting artists.
AVFF features cutting-edge indie films – like 2018’s FREE SOLO and 2019’s PARASITE – and selections of diverse works from and about underrepresented artists and communities. We actively seek socially conscious films that depict characters in the richness of their culture and identities; works from directors of color; Latinx-, LGBTQ+-, and female-driven narratives; and youth-oriented stories.
The 2021 festival will be a hybrid of virtual exhibitions, drive-ins, and pick-up dinner events.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Curate specific film block(s) or program(s) based on theme
- Develop criteria for film selection
- Liaise directly with filmmakers and secure their participation, negotiating fees with the help of the Executive Director when needed.
- Work within a given budget
- Develop and maintain relationships with key film community professionals
- Confirm and collate all materials, images and text relating to the block(s) or program(s) for festival promotional purposes
- Host post screening Q+A with filmmakers
- Occasionally offer content for AVFS social media
- Experience as a Film Festival Programmer or Assistant/Associate Programmer
- Able to work independently, efficiently and under deadline pressure
- Excellent oral and written communications skills
- Detail-oriented, organized, motivated
- Familiar with film and video formats and film production required
This is an hourly paid position from February 15, 2021 to May 2, 2021.
If you are interested in this opportunity, please send your resume and cover letter with the subject line “AVFF Festival Film Programmer” to hr[at]avfilmsociety.org.
Please, no calls to AVFS.
MISSION: Through the transformative power of film, the Alexander Valley Film Society (AVFS) brings global perspectives into our community, builds partnerships to broaden our impact, and educates, empowers and engages students of all ages.
The Alexander Valley Film Society is an equal opportunity employer. We will not discriminate and will take affirmative action measures to ensure against discrimination in employment, recruitment, advertisements for employment, compensation, termination, upgrading, promotions, and other conditions of employment against any employee or job applicant on the basis of race, color, gender, national origin, age, religion, creed, disability, veteran’s status, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression.
Join our mailing list