Contact Tess McHaffie, Project Manager, to learn more about our programs: tess.mchaffie[at]avfilmsociety.org or 707.893.07150
Need for Media Arts
According to Americans for the Arts, students with consistent access to the arts have higher GPA’s, higher standardized test scores, and lower dropout rates. Media Arts Education fosters self-directed learning and ultimately, developing the full range of 21st Century skills. All media arts students are better-prepared for college and career with skills in communication, creative problem-solving, collaboration, and lifelong learning. Through Media Arts, students are empowered to be cultural participants and engaged citizens. While engaged in the multi-modalities offered through the media arts, students acquire critical new literacies in media, technology, and digital culture. However, youth in our community do not have broad access to these learning opportunities. In fact, of the ~1,900 middle and high school students in Northern Sonoma County, less than 250 will have access to a class in digital media or the media arts.
The Alexander Valley Film Lab works to bridge this gap in Media Arts programming. Through creative collaborations, innovative program design, and broad community support, Alexander Valley Film Lab will bring Film Studies and Project-Based Filmmaking to more than 1,000 Sonoma County students.
Media Arts Program Offerings
- Classroom Solutions:
- Media Literacy & Film Integration: Allows teachers to bring teaching artists into their classroom to screen and discuss a film related to their subject area.
- Video Production Skills Training: Students learn skills such as editing tutorials, screenwriting basics, and story idea generation.
- Filmmaking Bootcamp: From brainstorming to the final edit, this class helps students create their own videos for class projects and fun.
- AV Cart!: AV Cart offers a free film for students to watch inside or outside of class plus a subject-area expert to visit during class to discuss the film and thematic issues. AV Cart provides both an educational opportunity and a break/fun activity in any learning environment.
- Self-Directed Resources for Educators: A collection of tools that offer myriad ways to incorporate media literacy and video skills-building opportunities into classes. We gathered hundreds of potential solutions from respected educational partners and consolidated them into a digestible online directory for educators.
- Outside of classrooms:
- Standalone classes: After school and on weekends we offer specialized instruction in an area of expertise, like screenwriting.
- Full-scale bootcamp opportunities: students learn basics and create their own work.
- Cinema Arts & Lecture: Monthly lecture series with industry experts. 60-minute lecture; 30-minute Q&A. Designed for high school aged students and adults.
- Student Film Competition: Provides youth with an opportunity to share their voice through film and real-world experience of sharing artistic work in a public format. Student filmmakers receive feedback from a panel of professional video storytellers and compete for $3,000 in prize money.
Since 2019, AVFS Education programs were made possible through funding from the following Adam Burke Student Funders:
Ann & Dale Amtower
Delores & Gary Arabian
Deborah Bertolucci & Rick Klug
Russell Bertuccelli & Joanne Menapace
Candi & Bob Bialon
Pauline Bohm & Michel Rodrigue
Kristina Borchardt & Gabrielle Simmons
Lucia & Ernest Boutte-Osborn
Jenness Brewer & Terry Heckler
Susan Campbell & John McKinney
Douglas Chamberlin & Alison Finch
Carol & Manny Diaz
Julie Dilley & Tom Foster
Joseph & Sandra Dobbins
Ann Elston & Larry Lossing
Renay & Michael Fanelli
Walter Gendell & Jack Fitzsimmons
Jenny & Rick Gomez
Mark & Beth Hanson
Stu & David Harrison
Dan Henkle & Steve Kawa
Jewish Community Federation & Endowment Fund
Kiwanis Club of Healdsburg
Cristel & Ron Longo
The Miner Anderson Family Foundation
John & Em Minor
Sharon & Jim Olson
Bill Pesonen & Roy Flores
Jane Rosenberg & Steve Deas
Deborah & Tony Rust
Jan & Brent Stanley
Kirsten & Steve Tellez
Mark Thayer & Jean Herschede
Barbara Tomber & Don Matthews
Victor & Cindy Trentadue
Kathleen & Peter Turbott
Dianne & Mark Vernon
Madeline & Dick Wallace
Mary Jo Winter/Management Connections
Join our mailing list