The Alexander Valley Film Society (AVFS) strengthens our community by captivating and engaging audiences, cultivating new fans of film, providing access and educational opportunities in the media arts, and celebrating our collective humanity through year-round educational and cultural enrichment programs and
the annual Alexander Valley Film Festival.
- To connect every member of our community to the transformative power of cinema;
- To create thriving arts educational opportunities within local schools;
- To create access to films, artists, and other cinema devotees from around the world;
- To foster culture;
- To deepen our relationships to one another and to our planet;
- To bind community through a shared experience of storytelling in order to bridge racial, socioeconomic, and faithful divides;
- To celebrate the humanity that connects us all.
We offer several year-round series such as the Monthly Community Screening Series and family-friendly fare over the summer in the Drive-In Series in Cloverdale and the Outdoor Movie Series in Healdsburg.
We also offer educational programming year-round. We work closely with the school districts, Sonoma County Office of Education, and the Boys and Girls Club of Central Sonoma County.
All of these programs culminate in the annual Alexander Valley Film Festival in October. We serve our community by choosing diverse content and films relevant to the community's needs and interests. We have featured such titles as:
- LGBTQI+ filmmakers and stories (DESERT HEARTS, BLOODLIGHT AND BAMI, MONSTER)
- Latin-American filmmakers and stories (DOLORES, SECOND MOTHER, THE INCIDENT)
- Youth oriented films (JANE, WINDOW HORSES, BREADWINNER)
- Social consciousness films (A RIVER RUNS THROUGH IT, WASTED: THE STORY OF FOOD WASTE, THE S WORD)
- Classic films (MAN WHO SHOT LIBERTY VALANCE, REAR WINDOW, EASY RIDER)
- Indie hits/Arthouse films (LOVING VINCENT, THE FLORIDA PROJECT, THE SALESMAN)